Monday, March 20, 2006

Rough Run

Saturday was my 20 miler and it was rough. I knew it was going to be before I even started. I had a feeling I was going to have to do the whole thing by myself because Andrea was out in Arizona doing an ultra and Doug and Andy run too fast for me and they were the only others that needed to do a 20 miler. I was going to go early to the trail and run 6 before anyone got there and then run the next 14 with everyone else. But, I was too sleepy and got there at 8:00 when everyone else did. We had barely gone 200 meters and my dad was already making remarks about how I was falling behind. I was not in the mood for his comments. At this point in training, I am sick of running; I don't care to run another mile; and I just want the race to be over. So I fell behind and kept falling behind. By the halfway turn-around at 7 miles I stopped and cried. Dad had said he was supporting me in the marathon and that's why he kept coming out and running with us on the weekends, but what support was he offering by leaving me behind? At the end of the first seven miles, I declared I was done. I grabbed my waterbottles and went home.

Luckily, Dave was still home when I got there and he was just heading out for a 9 mile run. So, I tagged along. And it was much better. I slowed down the pace and spent most of the run within the 70% range. Dave finished his run and I kept going for another 25 minutes. Overall I ran 3 hours and 15 minutes. I'm calling it 20 even though I think it might be a little shy.

I might try another 20 this weekend just to feel a little more confident about my long runs, but this one I'll go alone and not worry about it.

Thank goodness....one more week until the taper!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

woah, m, that really blows. what a bummer to read that you're so burnt out. i really hope that you're able to rally and find joy in your running this week! remember, each day is a new opportunity, so don't dwell on the past!