Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Chickened Out

Let's just say, I'm socially awkward.  Well, socially-don't-want-to-participate?  I have a friend who is the most BEAUTIFUL woman ever and has this very put together life and family and she used to invite me to everything.  I would always accept and then find a million excuses to get out of it.  I love to be invited to things, but I don't actually want to go.  I figure I'm going to be awkward and weird and I'd rather just stay home in my sweatpants.

A few weeks ago, I contacted the local swimming masters program.  I knew they met early in the morning, which would work for my schedule, and I knew that they were good and had good participation.  I have been interested for years but never did anything about it.  Over the weekend, I heard back from the group with a very detailed email.  I was excited and returned the email with plans to attend this week. 

Last night I was crazy tired.  I had gotten up at 5:30am to work out; spent the day running around trying to get last minute Christmas stuff done; and then finished the day with yet another workout (seriously, am I training for a marathon or an ironman??).  I was exhausted by 8:00pm and crawled into bed at 10:00.  That's pretty early for me.  I was so tired that I was like "well, if I wake up at 5:00, I'll got to masters at 5:30" but I did not set an alarm.

Wouldn't you know I woke up on my own at 4:45 this morning?

I didn't go.  I don't want to go alone.  I feel like that new kid at school and everyone's staring at you.  I don't want to be awkward.  Plus, I just can't justify the cost of it when I already pay a coach who writes swim workouts and have a Y membership where I do my swimming. 

Do you all swim masters?  Do you do separate swim workouts from your triathlon coaches?  Do you have a separate gym membership in addition to your masters program?

2 comments:

Jford said...

I used to do Master's class, but it really did not focus on my triathlons goals, so I quit.

tri like mary said...

The master's programs in my city are very swimmer focused (as they're supposed to be I guess). I found that the swim workouts given to me by my coach, which are suited to triathlon swim training, have been great for me. Don't sweat it. As long as you don't need a program with set times to stay motivated get your time in the pool doing your coach's workouts and you'll be fine.