Thursday, November 05, 2009

Thursday Thoughts

Let me first say, it was not my intent to stir any controversy yesterday about which marathon is better than another. Personally my favorite is Boston and always will be. I'm sure NY is a fantastic marathon and maybe someday it will make my schedule.

Moving on...

A few weeks ago I put together a more complete racing schedule for 2010. I really want to race more so I chose one race a month, with most of them being extremely short sprint races. One of them is an indoor triathlon which is about 3 miles from my house at the YMCA. My sister happens to be a member of that Y. You can guess where this is going...I asked her to participate. My mom called me a few days later and said she didn't think Amy was going to do it. Really, Mom? Then why did she call me and ask me when it was? :) Today Amy called me to confirm that she and two of her friends are going to be doing the race. Nice! I've already started talking up the Tri for the Cure in the summer with her. I'm such a devious and proud older sister.

So, how do you convince your friends and family to participate with you?

3 comments:

Molly said...

Well, I talked my dad into doing our 1st tri together (I think the call went something like..."Hey, you can swim 500 yds, can't you? And bike 11 miles? And you can walk 3, don't you think?"). After that it became mostly a snowball effect of leading by example and nudging friends that were uncertain if they could do it. Now I have a whole herd of family/friends that run, ride, or do tris because of it.

D said...

Ooooooooh... I was just bein an ass. Damn it. Next time I'm commenting anonymously ;P

Meredith said...

No it wasn't you D. I was just concerned after I wrote it about what I might be saying without saying. You know? I just wanted to set the record straight.