Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Maternity Clothes

Oy!

I have, luckily, been able to get by with very little maternity clothes to this point.  I had purchased two shirts, two pair of leggings, and a coat from Old Navy; two pairs of maternity jeans from Macy's; and everything else I've been wearing has been my previous clothes, stretched to the limit.  In the last two weeks, I've have started to grow.  Things that did fit me are barely covering me now.  It's sad to put on a t-shirt and not have it cover your entire belly.

Saturday I went to Destination Maternity to purchase the support belt.  I had barely walked in and I was greeted with an overly-excited sales woman.  Know if you know me, I avoid sales people like the plague.  I have been known to shop with an iPod on so I don't have to talk to anyone.  But I indulged her and let her give her spiel.  Destination Maternity was a combination of several different maternity stores, big sales right now, free water and juice, a lounge area for the men and kiddos, etc.  I really was only there to purchase the support belt, but I looked around at a few of the clothes.

Here's a little background.  I work in the home office of a very large retail corporation.  My employer has very strict requirements regarding what we're allowed to wear a work.  Sure we're casual, but you can get fired (on the spot) for wearing certain things - NEVER wear black and DO NOT wear competitors clothing.  You're just asking to lose you're job if you're doing that.  But, we do get a big fat discount and who else gets to wear shorts and flip flops to their jobs?  We do not, however, have a maternity line and our clothes aren't exactly made for the larger body.  So far, I've been able to incorporate a few maternity pieces with our own clothes and get away with it.

That time is coming to an end, though.  So, I looked around at Destination Maternity for comparable clothes.  Basically there were none.  And they were not available in an extra small.  And they were expensive.  The cheapest thing I saw there was a long sleeve tee for $35.  THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS?!  FOR A LONG SLEEVE BASIC SHIRT?!  YOU'RE OUT OF YOUR MIND!!

So, I'm still left with less than 10 pieces of maternity clothing and a very quickly growing body.  I hate the idea of spending a lot of money on clothes I'm not likely to wear again, but I don't know what my options are.  I'm hoping to get some Old Navy gift cards for Christmas, if I can make it that long.  Otherwise, I'm going to have to start wearing Dave's clothing that I've bought from our retail stores.  :)

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Try not to buy too much, I know I only wore about half of what I ended up buying. I found the clothes on-line at the Gap were good. Keep taking those monthly pictures, I wish I would have done that!

Velma said...

I am not sure if Target is a competitor, but they have nice stuff. I also got a lot at some nice maternity thrift stores. I would ask around facebook, social media, etc. I am sure there is someone who is willing to share some clothing.

..:danielle:.. said...

can your company really discriminate if you dont fit into anything they make?! ugh... i hear ya about the price... some of the shirts are gonna last for a long time but so much is not worth spending the money that im either going to grow out of soon or never wear again after. and half of it is not cute either, and thats clearly a necessity ;)