Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thursday Thoughts (on a Wednesday)

I was watching the morning news this week and they were talking about tipping during the holiday season.  They mentioned you should tip your children's teachers, the hair stylist, the doorman, the mail deliver carrier, etc.  Dude, you could go broke just tipping people!

I have to admit, I am not a big fan of tipping.  Hear me out.  I think people should be paid for their worth and legally, as in not lower than minimum wage.  Plus, why should I be tipping someone for doing their job?  Their job is to provide good service.  For example, a waitress is supposed to take my order, bring me my food, check on me at least once, see if I need a refill, bill me, and then collect the paid bill.  Technically, all of that should be in her job description.  If she's doing all of that, she's providing service, aka, her job.  Why should I have to tip on top of that?  Well, because for some reason it's okay not to pay those individuals minimum wage.  That's just ridiculous to me.

On the flip side, my photo booth business could technically be described as a service business.  At a wedding usually the florist, caterer, DJ, and coordinator all get tipped, yet we rarely get tipped.  Wonder why that is?

Do you tip extra for the holidays?  What are your thoughts on tipping?  Do you have a job where you get tips?

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I'm with you. Aside from going out to eat, I rarely tip unless someone goes above and beyond.

I used to be a waiter at a place that did weddings. I probably only got a tip once or twice. $5 from one guy. And I had to split it with the other person who was helping me with the 10 person table.