Thursday, January 03, 2013

13 in '13

Last year I sent 12 goals for myself and called in "12 for 2012". I didn't accomplish all the goal as I didn't really foresee getting pregnant in the middle of the year either.  I did accomplish quite a few, though.  I was excited to set new PRs, race in new state, and complete 12 races despite finding out I was pregnant in late July.

2013 is a big question mark.  January 1st came really fast and I realized I didn't have any resolutions or goals set yet.  It's hard for me to set these goals both personally and athletically as I have no idea what's going to happen after the baby is born.  But, I think it's important to set goals.  And Dave and I have already talked about equal time training despite having a baby.  Running/triathlon is important to us and having a baby isn't going to change that.  Maybe that sounds selfish - I think it's the right kind of selfish.  I don't want to be one of those chicks who becomes all about her kid and loses herself.  Anyway....onto the goals.

(I will be posting these as a page link at the top of the blog soon.)

1. Original size and weight
Yes, I know, I know.  It's going to take some time to get back to where I was pre-pregnancy.  But, if I don't set it as a goal, I'm not sure I have the willpower to do it on my own.  I love junk food.  I love being lazy.  But, I also love my skinny jeans.  I have a beach vacation planned in September so that's where I am targeting to hopefully get as close as I can to where I was before baby.

2. Unspoken Running Goal #1
This year I've decided to keep some of my running goals to myself.  This will help me deal with the anxiety of publicly having to live up to a big goal.  This one is a BIG one and one I totally think I can do.

3. New PR
I've probably only got a few years left of trying to achieve a new PR.  I'm not really sure what new PR I'm going to go after as I have no idea what races or distances I am going to do in 2013, but I'm hoping there is a new PR in the new year.

4. Run a Trail Race
It's hard to believe in my 11+ years of running that I have not done a trail race.  Personally, I love pounding the pavement, but my running style lends itself well to trail running (or at least that's what I think because I'm also a good snow runner).  Trail racing has been growing in size in Columbus during the last year with many more races and series.  I hope to get in on the action this year.

5. Read 12+ Books
This goal is on my list every year.  Unfortunately, it's been many years since I've actually accomplished it.  Now that I know how to download books straight from the library to my iPad, I think I'll be doing a lot more reading, especially since there will be many, many night feedings.

6. Run 1000 miles
I was totally on track this amount of miles and beyond in 2012, but obviously the training came to a screeching halt after I found out I was pregnant.  This is a goal that's going to be difficult to accomplish as the first 4+ months of the year will involve very little running/walking.

7. Run 12 Races
Again, another difficult task given that I probably won't be doing any races until May at the earliest.  But, I would like to race more, shorter races, which require much less recovery and can be done more often.

8. Eat in every meal, every day, for a month
There is a lot behind this goal.  First of all, Dave and I eat out a lot.  It's so easy to do where we live as we are within a mile or two of basically every restaurant in America.  But, that food is bad for us and we spend a lot of money eating out.  We got good about it for a few months last year when we gave ourselves a cash allowance for eating out, but then we got lazy again and just started pulling out the credit card.  We still plan on doing the cash allowance for eating out, but planning on eating in more so we can put that money in our pockets.  The other thought behind this goal is post-baby.  First of all, we just won't be able to eat out.  It will be a heck of a lot more difficult.  But, the verdict is still out regarding my return to work.  Right now we're leaning towards me staying home, but we want to reevaluate our budget and make sure we can do it.  Part of that involves, for myself, providing that we can eat in and save money.  Plus it will help us get better about meal planning and grocery shopping.  Something we completely suck at.  We have already started this goal in January.  So far, so good.

9. Learn to cook; try new food/recipes
This goal definitely goes with the one above.  Confession....Dave does the majority of the cooking in the house.  I'm just not good at it and he is.  But, I want to learn to cook better.  I want to learn to like new food instead of my pizza and burgers diet.  I don't know exactly how to measure this goal (a goal has to be measurable, after all) but maybe I'll bring back my "Monday's Menu" segment of the blog to show we're trying new things.  Maybe some pictures to prove that I'm the one doing the cooking?

10. Unspoken Running Goal #2
Yep, another goal I want to keep to myself.  This one's a big one and will take a lot of work.

11. Take More Pictures
I love to take pictures.  I love to appear in pictures more, though.  :)  I always have at least one camera with me, pretty much all the time.  And yet, I rarely take pictures anymore.  I think this will be an easier goal once the kiddo comes along.  Yeah, I'm gonna be one of those moms who posts pictures of her kids all the damn time.  Get ready internet!

12. Blog Everyday
Obviously, I already started this one in October.  I plan on going every day for a year whether that means calling it quits mid-October when I hit one year or going all the way until December 31st.  I'm wondering how difficult this will be post-baby.  I'm also wondering how difficult this will be once I start training again, as I'd kinda like to keep my training and racing details a little more private in 2013.

13. Learn How to Flip Turn
Frankly, I'm too good of a swimmer to not be flip turning.  I do know how to flip turn, I just can't really use it in practice.  My stroke tends to be a little erratic and gets a little off for using the flip turn every time.  I also finds that it zaps my energy to flip turn.  But, I really want to learn to use it all the time and put it into practice.

What do you think of the list?  Are any of these goals on your list?  What goals are you striving for in 2013?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

this is great! so many of your goals are things i'm currently working on, too. it'll be fun to watch, encourage and share inspiration back and forth.

if you end up out in cali, we'll have to put a trail race on the calendar! we have a plethora of them out here.

also, if tammy and i end up with any really groovy recipes that we thing you might like, we'll pass them on [like the crockpot chicken and dumplings i made last week. holy yumm!]

re: books, what sort of genre do you enjoy? i've been reading some amazing things lately and would love to share some, but not sure if they're your taste or not.

Meredith said...

I freakin' love chicken and dumplings and yet I can't make them. If you're got a recipe, I'd love to try it out.

I don't really have a preference on books, actually. I'm not much into sci-fi. I just like quick reads, usually.

Jackie said...

You will love trail racing. I don't ever want to do a road 1/2 marathon again, bring on the trails!
You and your husband can still workout post baby, but just not together. My husband gets Saturdays and I get Sundays. Support each other's right to workout.
Get a crockpot. They make cooking easy. Also I suggest a few good pans and 1 good sharp knife. Good luck with the goals, they sound awesome. And I am all for keeping some things private.

Velma said...

Flip turns are on my list. I have the same problem!