Monday, January 21, 2013

Monday's Menu

Last week Jeff provided me with a recipe for chicken and dumplings.  Y'all, I love me some dumplings.  I would go to Cracker Barrel every day of the week if I could.  Thank goodness the closest one is more than 30 miles away.  I will admit, however, I'm kinda a chicken and dumpling snob.  For example, Swanson used to make a really good canned version of them, but then they were bought by Campbells and they ruined it by putting vegetables in it.  People, chicken and dumplings with vegetables equals a pot pie!!!

Although Jeff's recipe called for a few vegetables, I decided not to put them in and instead just went with chicken and dumplings.  Dave did the chicken part.  I did the dumplings.  Here's the recipe.  We halved the recipe because it was PLENTY!


Chicken and Dumplings – serves 14

8 chicken breasts or thighs, remove skin
salt and pepper to taste
8 T. unsalted butter
3 c. chopped onions
2/3 c. flour
4 c. hot water
3 ½ c. chicken stock (broth)
6 medium carrots
4 lg. celery stalks
1 t. thyme
2 t. salt
4 bay leaves
1 t. pepper

Dumplings:

4 c. flour
2 T. baking powder
1 ½ t. salt
6 T. butter (salted)
2 c. milk

Cut chicken breasts in half diagonally. Wash and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Melt unsalted butter and add chicken. While browning one side, salt and pepper the side facing up. After browning one side, turn over and brown other side.
Remove chicken pieces to a plate. Add onions to drippings and butter in pan and sauté until tender.

Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minutes.

Remove pan from heat and slowly whisk the water and the chicken stock into onion/flour mixture. Whisking constantly, bring to a boil over high heat.

Add vegetables and seasonings through the pepper. Return the chicken pieces and all the juices and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat so it barely bubbles. Cover tightly until chicken is almost done. About 20-30 minutes.

Dumplings:

Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
Put the milk and butter in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Do not scorch.
Add milk mixture to dry ingredients.
Stir with a fork or knead by hand 2 or 3 times until the mixture just comes together.
Push chicken pieces down so they are submerged in broth. Gently drop spoonfuls of dough over the hot broth. Cover the pan tightly and simmer for 20 minutes. Don’t remove lid. Serve immediately.

I, of course, did not take any pictures.  Overall, not bad.  We put WAY too much pepper in which, of course, caused me major acid reflux.  Course, there's not much these days that doesn't cause me reflux.  The base of this meal was more soupy than creamy.  I prefer a creamy base, but I have yet to find a recipe that actually is creamy.  Also, I think I made the dumpling balls a little too big as they were a little doughy on the inside.  Would we do this recipe again?  Probably, although I'm still looking for the perfect chicken and dumpling recipe just like Cracker Barrel.  

Do you have a great recipe we should try?  Leave me a comment or send me an email (it's in the contact information).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We make chicken and dumplings all the time and I love mine creamy too. I would take out some of the water and add two cans of cream of chicken soup. It helps! Mmmm... cracker barrel chicken and dumplings with a side of hashbrown casserole. Nothing better! :)