Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Moments of Sheer Panic

I'm starting to freak out as our due date gets nearer.  Not so much, "we're not ready" as, "what the HELL have I done?"

I've done a lot of crying in the last week.  I may have even said out loud, "I never wanted this!"  While that is mostly true, I am excited about having a baby and glad this happened know.  However, I am still scared out of my mind.  I don't know the first thing about babies.  I don't know about feeding a baby.  I don't know much about holding a baby.  I don't know what to look for with a baby that may be sick.  I have never washed a baby.  I'm seriously screwed.  

I am sure this is absolutely normal thoughts and behavior for someone approaching their due date.  Right?  RIGHT?

4 comments:

Andrea Hill said...

You'll figure it out!! And babies don't know any better either. My friend once tried to dry her baby's butt in a dyson airblade hand dryer after a diaper blowout in the mall.... It was a learning experience for her, but the kid will never tell :-)

I'm sure no one "feels ready" and if they do, they're being naive. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE PERFECT AT THIS. Or anything else, really, but lets focus on this for now. You and Dave are smart and you have mothers to reach out to. You'll get it done.

ADC said...

Yes it is. I think... I get panic attacks as to how am I going to do this but I am also trying to be prepared, read books, go to birthing classes etc. We really are very excited about it now. Just relax. I am sure it will be fine. I have just read a really good book called "First Time Parents" and I love the way the she writes - very funny but informative. It kind of puts you at easy knowing that that are A LOT of people out there who don't know how to put a diaper on etc.

Val said...

Get The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy. It'll make you laugh and breathe again. Andrea is right that the baby won't know you've never done this before. Baby Gordon will know he/she is loved and guess what, they've never been a baby before either! You will learn together and you will be awesome. You are not alone. =)

Melissa said...

Just came to your blog from twitter :-) I could have written this exact same post...totally normal! There's a reason why newborns sleep so much, to help the moms and dads figure out how to do the whole 'baby' thing. I had a big meltdown before #1 and another big one the night before #2. You'll be great! Oh...and I honestly hated holding babies before my kids came, I felt so awkward doing so.