Friday, January 11, 2013

Product Review: Kiefer Silicone Training Fins

Kiefer contacted me several weeks ago asking me if I'd like to try out one of their products.  Well, don't threaten me with a good time!  After some discussion with them, making sure they'd want me to review an item for them when I'm crazy pregnant and not really swim "training", I was sent the Kiefer Silicone Training Fins.


I already had a pair of Speedo fins, but they were long and more scuba-like than swim training-like.  These fins from Kiefer are comparable to zoomers.  From their website:
Kiefer Silicone Swim Training Fins are extremely durable in the pool and offer a very comfortable fit, the perfect swim training tool for kicking drills and swimming sets. Short blade fin design improves kick strength and ankle flexibility, causing development of proper flutter kick technique.
I have worn them on two different swims now and they are REALLY different than my previous swim fins.  The first time I wore them, I have to admit, I didn't like them a whole lot.  I was swimming with Dave and he was using his long Speedo fins.  He was kicking my buns in the pool and it was pissing me off.  With my old, long fins I could just move my feet a little and I got incredible speed.   The second time I wore them, I swam alone, and I understood why these are such a great training tool.  I understood that moving my feet and ankles properly, along with rolling my legs and hips, I could gain some speed out of the fins.  Therefore, I was improving my kick by learning to kick properly.  I can't wait to really use the fins once the baby is born and I can really swim train again.

Would I recommend these fins.  Absolutely!  Am I going to continue to use them.  You betcha!  Will I go back to my old fins?  Only if I'm scuba diving (which I'll never do because of my ears).

Do you have any Kiefer products?  What are your thoughts on using fins during swim training? 

1 comment:

Jamie said...

For absolutely no good reason, I've never used fins for swim training. But I probably need them more than most. Just doing a 25m kick with a kickboard exhausts me and takes me FOREVER.

Maybe some day I'll stop being so stubborn and use them.