Sunday, August 16, 2009

Food for Thought

As much as I've struggled with motivation this summer, I still have this inner desire to kick some ass. Not doing as well as I wanted to yesterday in the race has only fueled this fire. I'm guessing Coach is going to love reading that!

By the way, I don't know what the women who were giving out the awards yesterday were thinking. According to the official race results I finished 2nd in my age group. And I'm guessing the women who finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall were double-dipping because 1st and 2nd were in the 30-34 age group, which would have pushed me to 4th in the age group.

Back to the point at hand...there is one part of my training plans that I've never put any effort into: nutrition. I figured I could eat anything because I was burning the calories. I have maintained or lost weight and that has made me happy. What I have neglected to realize is that not only is food fuel, it's also super-important for recovery and to keep healthy. Here's the problem, I'm really picky about food and only like a handful of things. Those things do not include fruits and vegetables or anything that might be called whey protein. Today, though, I checked out a book from the library and plan on getting the supplemental cook book and really force myself to improve my diet.

I will say, when I went vegetarian for a month two years ago I never felt better, but I couldn't keep up that lifestyle. I will keep you all up to date on how this attempt go. This effort may be harder than any training plan I've ever tackled.

3 comments:

Andrea Hill said...

Hey Meredith, this post is really interesting to me. You seem to get sick often, and I know it's impacted several of your races. Other than simple over-training, nutrition could definitely be a factor. I'm glad to see you're considering the impact of your fuel on your performance.

Meredith said...

This year I got sick often because it was my first year teaching kids. I got on some allergy medicine this past March and was healthy until July. I'm anxious to see what happens when I go back to teaching next month. You are usually sick your first year and then healthy, healthy, healthy.

Michelle said...

As an RN, may I say you both (Andrea and Meredith) have valid points, so it'll be interesting to see what this fall brings for you. And, I'm with you, on the nutrition. I know I should eat better, especially with breastfeeding a baby, but I get kind of lazy about it as long as m I'm maintaining a proper weight. let us know how it goes!