Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Let's Talk About Socks, Baby

I've been running for 8 years and really haven't thought a whole lot about socks. As long as they didn't bunch in my toes or cause blisters, then they were okay in my book. And considering I don't have problems with bad toenails or blisters, then most socks worked for me. When I finished 2nd in my age group at the Crystal Coast 1/2 Marathon, I won a gift card to a local running store. I used that gift card for two new pairs of socks. And WOW! They were like the best socks I've ever worn.

The brand of the socks is Balega. They have a perfect amount of cushion and I love the extra fabric around the achilles tendon area. My racing flats really rip up my achilles area so these socks really make a difference. The same manufacture makes Zulu socks which are made out of bamboo. I haven't tried them yet, but I know they are cheaper.

Let's talk about compression socks. They seem to be all the rage right now, and yes I own two pairs. One pair I bought at Meijer and they fit really tight. The other pair are Sugoi. I like them both and think they are both effective. Now I don't wear them while running because that's now what they're for, but I do wear them after hard workouts to aid in recovery. I feel like I get less sore when I wear them for a few hours after hard workouts. I also wear them when I'm flying to keep from getting blood clots. Multi-use!!!

What sock brands do you swear by and why?

6 comments:

Molly said...

YES! I LOVE the Balega socks. I use them for triathlons - they are thick enough for my bike shoes and then nice and cushy for me on the run.

Unknown said...

Hi there.
Don't laugh at this...but I sell socks online and inline at our running shop / justsocks.com too. AND NOW THE IRONY...I don't wear them. While training for IRONMAN I got used to going COMANDO, and now I LOVE IT. IT takes some toughinging up . I don't recommend everyone doing it (or i can't feed my 12 year old , nor me) but it's for some reason NICE to FEEL more. Does that make sense. Point is I can't really explain it. But like you and Balega, the feel is just right. If i wore a sock it would be that thin, hidden comfort by Balega. Major drawback to going sockless is "KEEP THE SHOES OUTSIDE". Any way , keep buying those socks.
Larry
Ken Combs Running Store
Louisville , Ky

Meredith said...

I actually don't wear socks in triathlons. When I bought my bike shoes I bought them a little too small so when I wear socks my feet go numb. And then I've just gotten used to not putting on socks for the run. I haven't done more than a sprint like this, though.

Anonymous said...

I never thought about socks until I got a kick A$$ pair as a gift from a runner friend :)
Mine are just Asic (dry fit) but, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them and can't run in anything else!

Unknown said...

i usually just get the wrightsocks at road runner sports, but recently i've been gifted a couple pairs of injinji socks [funky toe socks] and i really dig on them. i'm fortunate in that i don't usually have blister problems either.

right now, though, i'm working on a barefoot running program, so hopefully i'll be sans socks AND sans shoes before too much longer.

Laura said...

I've used the Asics ones with the support specific for the left and right foot. It only sucks if you loose one and then you really will have two left (or right) feet!

Sorry, I missed the lurker coming out post, so here I am! Laura from Memphis. Hi!