Saturday, August 08, 2009

Head Case

It's been a rough week of running. For as much success as I've had physically--good paces, solid runs--I have been mentally destroyed this week. There's a lot going on in this little noggin. First off, I've been fighting a cold/sinus infection for 13 days. Yeah, 13 days! I thought I was better but I've been waking up every day pretty much feeling the same way--not bad, not good. The sinuses are killing me, though. Yesterday my back teeth hurt. Today my front teeth hurt. With every step I take, my teeth feel shooting pain. Coach has scolded me--no running until I see a doctor. After all, I do have a race in a week.

Secondly, I've been fighting some nasty demons in my head. A year ago no one read my blog and not many people cared about my running. But I've turned in some good performances this past year and along with blogging every day, I feel like the weight of the running world is on my shoulders. The expectations have gotten so high. How am I ever going to live up to them? Of course, I know I'm the only one who has put these expectations on myself. If I set the goals, I can achieve them.

It's been a tough week. But, coach has sent me some rah-rah e-mails and Dave has given me plenty of hugs. Hopefully with a little bit of antibiotics and a good race next week, my head with be back to normal.

2 comments:

Molly said...

More hugs for you from here. I get what you mean about pressure...I've made a lot of new blogger friends this year and a lot of them are FAST, it makes me nervous to say I'm doing a race and everyone will know my results! Hope you feel better soon.

Liz Waterstraat said...

"rah rah emails"

I love it. I'll bring out my pom pons for you any day.