Sunday, August 09, 2009

With a little bit of regret...

This morning Dave and I donned our helmets and cleats and boarded our bikes into New Albany. This morning there was a 10 mile race through the trails we run every day. I have run this race twice before and run it well, but this year I decided not to do it and concentrate on the half marathon instead. We camped out at the 2 mile mark and watched the runners come by. Immediately we realized it wasn't a big race and there weren't a ton of fast runners. The mortals were out today. We helped the volunteers pick up the cups and then waited for the lead runners to come back. Now we were stationed at mile 9 as this was an out and back. The first runner came flying by and we hopped on the bikes again and headed to the finish line barely beating the first runner there. First runner: 1:02. Nice! Then we waited and waited and waited to see the first woman. We had a friend out there who was the lead runner by A LOT, but she was using the race as a long run and decided to not finish the race and continued to run without crossing the finish line. The first woman came in: 1:20ish. That's an 8:00 pace. While that's excellent there was a part of me that knew I would have run this race had a run it. Grrr! That would have been two wins in one year. But, I'm 6 days away from my next PR :) and ready to rock the half.

No comments: