Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Pikes Peak Marathon

My friends Andrea and Helen are doing something absolutely crazy this weekend: running Pikes Peak Marathon. You've got that right. They are running 13.1 miles up to the summit and then 13.1 miles down. I have to admit, I'm nervous for them. The summit is over 14,000 ft. Now I've been over 13,00 ft. and I thought I was walking on the moon. It was hard to breathe and I felt like I was moving in slow motion. Andrea has been training on Pikes Peak as she lives near there, but Helen lives about 20 miles from me. I think her "mountain" training has consisted of running up and down stairs in her office building.

Andrea and Helen, good luck and please be super-safe.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow, I can't even imagine WALKING up that mountain let alone running up it. May their lungs be healthy enough to handle that altitude! Are they even from CO?

Val said...

Eeeeeeeeeek, that is scary. Please don't forget to let us know how it goes! Would love to hear how they do.

Andrea Hill said...

The race went well: I finished in 6:42, Helen in 7:32. That put us both in the upper half of finishers (I was actually in the top 3rd of women, finishing 50/171).

It really wasn't bad at all. We're both fit and strong runners. (AND we're both not sore at all - had no problems on the stairs at my apt last night or today).

I'll probably write up my race report later today - www.afhill.com/gothedistance

Helen said...

This was the most fun marathon I have ever run. It was beautiful. I was worried about altitude but it didn't seem to effect me. I ran Thurs and Fri and on Saturday we went up to the summit. Those stairs and running on hard mountain bike trails must have helped me. I am going to run this next year - so is Andrea.

Meredith said...

You guys go ahead. I'm doing Ironman.