Sunday, August 23, 2009

Time for a Change?

I like to consider myself a purist when it comes to running. Most days I go out with only my shoes and a watch. Since I became a runner I have been faithful to one watch company, Timex, and have gone through many version including two heart rate monitors of the Timex Ironman series. I haven't been doing as much heart rate training this summer as last, but I noticed a few weeks ago that my heart rate chest strap was acting poorly. I got a new battery for the strap and inserted it on Saturday for a run. Usually it takes a few seconds for the watch to pick up the heart rate. I waited and waited and it never appeared. Crap! So in less than two years of owning this system, I will be sending it back to Timex for the second time.

I will admit, I own a Garmin 405 with a heart rate monitor. I can wear that, but unless I have a speed workout to do, I am not a fan of wearing the Garmin. I get distracted by all the features and knowing how fast or slow I am going.

Is there anything better out there? The reason I went with Timex is that it seemed reliable and it's affordable. I'm hesitant to go with Polar because it's soooo expensive and if I'm going to spend that amount of money I might as well go with all the features of the Garmin.

For now, I will stick with the Timex for whenever I'm just running with no heart rate or pace.

4 comments:

D said...

The Garmin 305. The 405 super, duper sucks ass.

Erin said...

I have used a Timex Ironman, but then I must admit that I switched to the Garmin 405 and haven't gone back. The Timex sits in a box and is unused. I probably only used it for a few months. There goes the $100 or whatever I paid for it.

Meredith said...

I already have the 405 so I wouldn't buy a new one. Plus, the 305 is HUGE.

D said...

Bigger is better. DUH!

(405 sucks lol)